1003 N. Austin Ave.
Georgetown, TX 78626
The Creative Playscape is currently closed for repairs.
5 a.m.-10 p.m.
The City of Georgetown Parks and Recreation Department identified the need to replace a beloved community-built play structure in the city’s signature park several years ago due to its age and deterioration. The previous structure was built in 1993 with over 800 volunteers and over the last 20 years had become a fixture of the community. Staff began the formal planning process in the spring of 2013 with the assistance of Baker|Aicklen and Associates. It was clear from the beginning that the new play area must be special due to the popularity of the old structure.
The design team successfully integrated elements that honored the success of the previous playground. The team was able to incorporate the unique history of Georgetown in the new playground site. A key element in honoring the past was the inclusion of the history wall from original structure from 1993 into the new site. To expand on this vision, the design team incorporated the concept of the history wall throughout the playground and to tell the story of the Georgetown area. Visitors can begin their journey in the pre-settlement or begin in the future and take a step back into time. The path they take is up their imagination!
- Custom GFRC Boulder and Tee Pee– represent the pre-settlement period with Native American encampments along limestone cliffs on the San Gabriel River
- Triple slide – water falls along San Gabriel River
- GFRC Cow, hay bales and wagon wheel –represent the settlement period from the 1700’s to the 1850’s
- Train and HDPE Store front – represent the industrial period in the community from the 1850’s to 1950’s
- Custom Tower – represents the surge in growth in the community from the 1950’s to current
- X-Scape structure – represents the new millennium as Georgetown continues to grow and offers new opportunities for it citizens
Field Trips and Group Visits
Field trips and groups (schools, youth groups, churches, families, etc.) are welcome at the Creative Playscape! We do ask that you follow a few steps to ensure the safety of your group and Georgetown Recreation Center patrons.
- Buses should park in the bus parking at the southeast corner of the Georgetown Recreation Center to unload and park.
- Participants can safely access the Creative Playscape by walking behind the Georgetown Recreation Center on the crushed granite trail.
Take a look at the San Gabriel Park Map to find the designated bus parking areas.