Garey Park Programs
Garey Park offers a range of programs that will enrich your experience while in the park. With hiking, nature programs, yoga classes and more, our programs showcase the natural beauty of the park and provide opportunities to learn new skills.
Questions about Garey Park programs? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-930-6800.
- Alphabet Challenge – Find plants, wildlife and more for each letter of the alphabet.
- Color Challenge – Find plants, wildlife and more for each color.
- Garey Park Bingo (easy + answers)
- Garey Park Bingo (hard + answers)
- Play Ranch Bingo
- Garey Park Wildflower Bingo – Did you know there are 24 varieties of wildflowers at Garey Park?
- Nature Scavenger Hunt – How many can you find?
- 10 Things to Do at Garey Park while practicing physical distancing.
- BioBlitz – Help us chronicle the biodiversity of the park by using your smartphone!
Stay tuned for scavenger hunt events coming soon!
Join Garey Park staff for an introduction to the Garey Park trail system and get answers to all of your burning questions about Garey Park. Appropriate for all ages. Pre-registration required. Participants 12 years old or under must be accompanied by a registered adult participant. Registration includes park entry for the day.
$2 Resident/$4 Nonresident
Wednesdays in April and May
Join Recreation Specialist Rowan Prothro for a series of interpretive hikes. Participants will go on guided adventures and learn about what makes Garey Park special!
Appropriate for all ages. Pre-registration required. Participants 12 years old or under must be accompanied by a registered adult participant. Registration includes park entry for the day.
$8 Resident/$10 Nonresident
Saturday, March 13 – Birds
Saturday, April 10 – Wildflowers and Pollinators
Saturday, May 8 – Trees
2021 date to be announced. Stay tuned!
Help us chronicle pollinator species at Garey Park!
From experts to novices, all curious naturalists are welcome. The goal of this BioBlitz is to document as many different pollinators as possible in Garey Park.
Participation is as easy as taking a photo and recording a date, time and location (your phone does this automatically via geotagging) and uploading to iNaturalist.org via the phone app or website. You can explore and make observations on your own time and pace, and as often as you’d like!
What is a pollinator?
A pollinator is an animal that moves pollen from a male plant to a female plant. This allows the plant to grow and produce. Examples include: bees, flies, wasps, ants, butterflies, moths, sawflies, bats, hummingbirds, dragonflies and damselflies.
What is a BioBlitz?
A BioBlitz is an event where participants take/upload photo of wildlife to learn about the pollinators in our area. Participation is of the utmost importance! The more observations made, the greater the positive impact had on the scientific community. You might find something nobody has ever documented at Garey Park before!
How do I participate?
- Download the iNaturalist app on your smartphone.
- Create an account and familiarize yourself with the program. Practice looking at the Explore, Activity, and Observe tabs on the app.
- While in the app, join the project page, when available.
- Visit Garey Park and make an observation – or make many! You can submit findings in real time using the iNaturalist app on your smartphone or save the photos and upload them later.
Why should I participate?
- Parks are essential to the health of pollinators and help make a difference in saving these critical species. Parks help pollinators in several ways – including documenting the species present within their boundaries.
- Pollinators are a vital component of our ecosystem, and an essential link to the world’s food supply.
- The United States has seen a steady decline of pollinators – a rate of about a 30% decrease annually. These projects help scientist (and citizen scientists, like you!) better understand where there is a greater need for preservation efforts.
Give us a call at 512-930-6800 or email email@example.com. Or, stop by the gatehouse on your way in for a quick tutorial.