814 S. Church St.
Georgetown, TX 78626
Founder’s Park is the site where Williamson County’s first commissioners met under an oak tree in 1848 to choose a location for the county seat. George Washington Glasscock offered to donate the land he owned jointly with his business partner Thomas B. Huling. The land was bounded by the oak tree at one corner and the San Gabriel River to the north and west. The oak tree was felled by a storm in 1886, but the park remains an important reminder of Georgetown’s history.
An initial Public Open House was held on May 4, 2016, and input from that meeting was used to develop a design for the park. As a result of that meeting, an online survey was also developed for additional public input. The revised design was presented at a second public meeting on July 28, 2016, requesting input and approval of the final design. Improvements to the park include improved accessibility, picnic tables, water fountain and public art.
The design was created in house by Parks staff, and construction documents were completed by Steger Bizzell. The project will bid in February 2017 with construction scheduled to begin after the 2017 Red Poppy Festival. The Founder’s Park project is being completed in cooperation with Public Works and is part of a larger CIP Downtown Sidewalk project.